Friday, May 11, 2012

2 Weeks to Form a Habit: Beating My Sugar Addiction

This post has nothing and everything to do with the fact that I'm just getting over the flu - nothing, because I recognized that my eating habits were out of hand long before I got sick, and everything, because the minute I started feeling nauseous, I wondered if my pancreas had finally cacked out. My diet has always been total shit, but it's gotten even worse since we escaped The Gypsy's lair. It started with a constant stream of fast food while we packed, moved, and unpacked. We haven't really done a decent grocery haul since which means I've been surviving mainly (almost literally) on chocolate, donuts, tea (which is basically syrup when I'm done adding my sugar and cream to it), and potato chips for two weeks.

I'm not exaggerating here, and the truth is, I've been feeling like total crap as a result of my poor diet. I'm weak, I'm tired, and I have no energy and no patience to deal with even the simplest of tasks. More than that, I am soul crushingly depressed. I spent this evening laying in bed, avoiding my sick kid and obviously tired baby daddy.  I wanted to be in the living room, playing with my daughter, rescuing my partner, but I honestly could not make myself get up. Instead, I stared into space and tried not to puke while I thought of ways to dig myself out of this shitty funk.

I know that my current state probably has a lot to do with my diet. I mean, there's other factors that contribute to my bad attitude, but I need to get some more energy if I want to deal with those. And to get more energy, I need to get some decent food into my system. I was pretty good today - the flu has scared me straight. I brought fruit and yogurt to work and I didn't have anything really unhealthy to eat. So, today marks Day 1 of my 2 week "cleanse".

The Goal:
- To have more energy
- To improve my mood

The Plan:
- I will steer clear of obvious junk foods (chocolate bars, chips, sodas, etc.)
- I will consume only non-caffeinated beverages
- I will drink at least 1 litre of water a day
- I will take my vitamins on a daily basis
- I will make at least 5 healthy meals a week at home

I'll check back in a week to let you know how it's going.

1 comment:

  1. How is your cleanse going?! I can't wait for an update! I hope the bday cake didn't set you back too much :S

    ReplyDelete