Monday, December 31, 2012

December Favourites

I don't know if our little family has been healthy for more than 3 days at a time for the entire month of December. We kicked off the Christmas season with the flu, followed by sore throats that lasted more than 2 weeks, and now we're making our way through a cough thing. For that reason, my number one favourite thing is BEING HEALTHY. Oh my goodness! I miss being well.

Other than that, here are a few other things I loved in December:

Ginger Lemon Tea with Honey and McDonald's Caramel Sundaes - I basically lived on lemon tea and sundaes when my sore throat was at its peak because it's all I could swallow. I think I actually cried with joy when Chase came home one night holding honey in one hand and ice cream in the other; I couldn't get enough after that. I highly recommend this diet to sick people everywhere.

If Walls Could Talk - Aside from Haven (oh my god, you guys! I am dying to see the last two episodes of Season 3! Will Lucy go into the barn? Will I finally get to see Duke naked?!), this is probably my favourite show ever. If Walls Could Talk details the history of various rooms (the living room, the bedroom, etc.) from the Middle Ages to current day. Aaaaamazing. I am in love with this kind of history. I don't care who people voted for, who went to war with who, which country invaded another country, but tell me that brass doorknobs were popular because they reflected candle light or that Laura Ingles and her sisters used to play with an inflated pig's bladder  and I am a happy girl. I eat this shit up.



6 Harsh Truths that Will Make You a Better Person  by David Wong (for Cracked.com) - I joked to a friend that the only thing I hate about this article is the fact that I didn't write it myself. The second page contains all of my favourite points, but the whole thing basically sums up how I've been feeling about life lately. Also, the things Wong says about nice guys* and prayer are bang-on. 6 Harsh Truths is the most inspirational thing I've read in a very long time.

*Thanks for that link, Mom. It's also a December favourite.

Big Fat Quiz of the Year - I look forward to the Big Fat Quiz every year. Nothing makes me happier than a British pub-style game show, particularly one that often features David Mitchell. I can't speak to the Big Fat Quiz of 2012 because it hasn't aired yet, but in my quest to see who the contestants are, I stumbled upon 3 specials Channel 4 did for their 25th anniversary - Big Fat Quiz of the 80's, 90's, and 00's. Love!


David Mitchell, Alan Carr, Richard Ayode and Noel Fielding are all my favourite people of December.

This quote from Mr. Rogers
When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."
I saw the quote on someone's Facebook feed in response to the Sandy Hook shooting, and I really liked it. Ol' Fred (and his mom, apparently) was an amazing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment